Wednesday 28 May 2008

Sammy Hagar - Hagar Rules Out Van Halen Reunion Until Eddie Is Sober

SAMMY HAGAR has refused to return to VAN HALEN until band leader EDDIE VAN HALEN proves he's clean and sober.

The reunited original line-up of the rock group was forced to delay comeback dates last year (07) when Van Halen checked himself into rehab for an ongoing alcohol problem.

And then dates on the tour were scrapped earlier this year (08) when the singer was forced to seek further treatment for an undisclosed medical condition.

Now back on the road with his bandmates and his son Wolfgang on bass, Van Halen appears to be in recovery - but former bandmate Hagar is less than convinced.

Hagar was rumoured to be considering rejoining the band to perform hits he sang after original frontman David Lee Roth left the group.

But he has now ruled out a reunion on account of Van Halen's health: "That's just not something I'm really interested in doing again right now.

"Eddie would have to be able to bring himself back to ground zero; by that, I mean he'd have to be completely clean."

And Hagar admits he can't even bring himself to check out the reunited line-up onstage right now: "After the last Van Hagar (sic) tour, Eddie became my enemy; he wasn't the same guy he was when we started the Van Hagar era of the band; he made what should have been a great experience just down right miserable."

"When I say that, I'm talking about the Eddie Van Halen that is struggling with his personal demons... Last time I saw Eddie, he was in really bad shape.

"I did see a recent photo and he looks healthier than he has in a long time. That, to me, is a great thing, Eddie has all the support on the planet from me if he is finally getting his s**t together."




See Also